Burleson Park, located at 3000 University Boulevard, is named in honor of James B. Burleson, who served University Park as Mayor Pro Tempore from 1946 to 1947 and as Commissioner from 1946 to 1948. Mayor H. E. Yarbrough signed the ordinance and dedicated the park on September 5, 1947.
Burleson Park has many features, including a clay infield baseball/softball diamond complete with backstop and bleachers. On the east end of the park is a soccer practice field. Double tennis courts, located on the northwest corner of the park, are lighted for evening play. Both courts are equipped with fiberglass practice backboards. A basketball court, ideal for pre-teen play, is located just to the east of the tennis courts. A playground designed for children 12-and-under is footsteps away from the tennis and basketball court sites.