The Dallas Zoo began in 1888 with just two deer and two mountain lions in City Park. It later moved to Fair Park in 1909 and quickly outgrew its second home, moving to Marsalis Park in 1912, where it stands today. Throughout the past 128 years, numerous upgrades have been made and collections expanded. In 1955, the Dallas Zoological Society was established as a non-profit to support the Zoo. In 2009, a public-private partnership transitioned the Zoo to private management. Today, the Dallas Zoo is home to more than 2,000 animals, and is thriving with new exhibits such as the Giants of the Savanna, and the Koala Walkabout and Wonders of the Wild, both presented by the Kimberly-Clark Corporation. In 2017, the Simmons Hippo Outpost will open, returning these remarkable “river horses” to the Zoo for the first time in 15 years.